Sieve problem

John A. Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Sun Mar 9 16:36:01 EST 2003

Rob Siemborski wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 dimon at intellinetinc.com wrote:
>
>>I've setup cyrus IMAP with sieve a few weeks ago. It works just fine for me!
>>But I couldn't find info how I can have global sieve rules. Is there a way to
>>set up global rules for all users defined by administrator? I want sometimes
>>change some rules for all my users, but going to each users folder is not a
>>good idea at all. And I'd also like my users to override global rules by
>>setting theit own. I couldn't find anything about that.
>>

>You can't do this (well, other than by adding stuff to each user's sieve
>script).
>
>There's a number of implementation questions (does the global override the
>user specific?  what if there's a fileinto for a folder that a user's
>deleted or never created? should it be created?), among others.

Would it be feasible to add an include or call facility into sieve?
 That way a user could specify where the global rules should be run and
put rules in front of them if they need any exceptions.  It would still
require code in the users script, but most users will not change it
anyway so a default script created for the user would be sufficient for
most.  Unlike just setting the default script to be the global script,
changes to the global script would not require updating all the users'
scripts and trying to decide what to do if they have edited them.  It
also gives users the option of selecting among multiple
administrator-provided scripts.

This is probably a lot of work for at least the bytecode version -- the
non-bytecode interpreter should be pretty easy to just include the
contents of another file, and require handling might be tricky.

>Also, may times people want this for shared folders, which also isn't
>clear how to implement.

I haven't looked at the code, but it seems like it wouldn't be hard to
have another directory under sieve for shared folders, such as
sieve/shared/mailboxpath.  timsieved would need changes to allow them to
be stored (by an administrator or perhaps by any user who has delete
privileges on the folder), and it would complicate handling sieve
scripts in home directories.

--
John A. Tamplin
Unix Systems Administrator