Sieve problem

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 9 18:50:29 EST 2003

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, John A. Tamplin wrote:

> Would it be feasible to add an include or call facility into sieve?

This is something I've been interested in for a while, I just haven't had
time to throw together an I-D for it.

I hadn't thought of letting it include scripts outside of the user's
personal set though.

> This is probably a lot of work for at least the bytecode version -- the
> non-bytecode interpreter should be pretty easy to just include the
> contents of another file, and require handling might be tricky.

I don't see why the bytecode version can't just have an "include" opcode,
followed by a string (stringlist?) of other files.

> I haven't looked at the code, but it seems like it wouldn't be hard to
> have another directory under sieve for shared folders, such as
> sieve/shared/mailboxpath.  timsieved would need changes to allow them to
> be stored (by an administrator or perhaps by any user who has delete
> privileges on the folder), and it would complicate handling sieve
> scripts in home directories.

Now you've associated scripts with folders, instead of addresses.  Does
this mean that if I (personally) fileinto shared.folder, and shared.folder
has a script, does it run?  Can you fileinto between two shared folders?
What about setting \Seen from a sieve script?  Do you have to set it for
everyone (that'd be really expensive in Cyrus).  How does vacation
interoperate (what happens if I fileinto a folder which has a script which
calls vacation, but I've already sent this guy a vacation notice)?

Among others....  (and I'm sure Larry can point out obvious ones I'm
missing)

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper