MUPDATE master server

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 7 13:13:57 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 marc.bigler at day.com wrote:

> >So, there's a partial failure, but the majority of the system survives.
>
> That sounds fine for me. Now I have the current configuration:
>
> 1 server at a colocation place and a few other servers at a hosting center,
> that would be two different geographical regions. Now with such a
> configuration is it possible to implement an interested Cyrus Murder
> environement ?

Its possible.  Make sure you understand that you're doing this for the
shared namespace though, otherwise you almost certainly want a more
traditional IMAP proxy like perdition.

Note that the murder was never intended to work in a geographicly
distributed fashion.  There may be lurking bugs/performance issues (though
based on how it actually works, I don't expect this).

> I see the current problem where the single server located at the colocation
> place will somehow need to act as front end and back end server at the same
> time, is that somehow possible ?

Yes.  Ken debugs complete murder configurations on a single laptop.

Of course, I don't recommend it (now you're costing yourself 2 IMAP
processes per connection on that machine instead of 1)

> Or shouldn't I even think about such a setting up a Cyrus murder
> environement with so less servers. What do you think about this setup ?

I think you should be sure Murder is what you want before you jump into
it.  It solves a very special problem that most people don't have.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski | Andrew Systems Group * Research Systems Programmer
PGP:0x5CE32FCC | Cyert Hall 207 * rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu * 412.268.7456