delayed response from pop3d

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 11 14:40:53 EST 2003

-- Jon Rowell <jrowell at place.net> is rumored to have mumbled on Dienstag,
11. März 2003 12:24 Uhr -0600 regarding Re: delayed response from pop3d:

> On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 12:40 PM, Rob Siemborski wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Jon Rowell wrote:
>>
>>> Since the upgrade, I am getting a delayed response from my pop3d.  I
>>> have pop3 running on port 10110 and imap running on 10443 (as stated
>>> in
>>> cyrus.conf).  If I startup master and then do "telnet localhost 10110"
>>> I get the usual telnet stuff about "connected to localhost" and
>>> "Escape
>>> character" but instead of getting the usual "+OK hostname Cyrus POP3
>>> v2.1.12 server ready ..." stuff it just sits there.  The greeting
>>> message does come up but it takes 5 minutes.  After the greeting comes
>>> up, the server works fine.
>>>
>>> Imap appears to work fine.  There is a split second delay that I don't
>>> remember being there but otherwise it is fine.
>>
>> Run the strace/truss equivilant on the processes and see whats taking
>> them
>> so long.
>>
>> Offhand, it sounds like a /dev/random problem (not enough entropy), in
>> which case the solution is to link /dev/urandom to /dev/random.
>
> Linking /dev/random to /dev/urandom fixed the problem but it made my
> machine fail when it booted because of a device checking mechanism in the
> boot process.
>
> Is there a way I can force cyrus to use /dev/urandom instead of
> /dev/random?

Hmm this sounds awfully similar to a problem I described this afternoon,
but:

if I understand you correctly, you're not doing an SSL connection, are you?
If so, why should /dev/random make a difference? Also, *my* version of
Cyrus seems to be already using /dev/urandom (it appeared later in the
strace output). I haven't been able to reproduce this, but I expect it to
return after some time:

--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK