delayed response from pop3d

Jon Rowell jrowell at place.net
Tue Mar 11 15:47:08 EST 2003

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 01:40 PM, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> -- Jon Rowell <jrowell at place.net> is rumored to have mumbled on
> Dienstag, 11. März 2003 12:24 Uhr -0600 regarding Re: delayed response
> from pop3d:

>>> Run the strace/truss equivilant on the processes and see whats taking
>>> them
>>> so long.
>>>
>>> Offhand, it sounds like a /dev/random problem (not enough entropy),
>>> in
>>> which case the solution is to link /dev/urandom to /dev/random.
>>
>> Linking /dev/random to /dev/urandom fixed the problem but it made my
>> machine fail when it booted because of a device checking mechanism in
>> the
>> boot process.
>>
>> Is there a way I can force cyrus to use /dev/urandom instead of
>> /dev/random?
>
> Hmm this sounds awfully similar to a problem I described this
> afternoon, but:
>
> if I understand you correctly, you're not doing an SSL connection, are
> you? If so, why should /dev/random make a difference? Also, *my*
> version of Cyrus seems to be already using /dev/urandom (it appeared
> later in the strace output). I haven't been able to reproduce this,
> but I expect it to return after some time:

Correct.  I am not doing an ssl connection.  I'm not sure why
/dev/random makes a difference but apparently it does.  According to
truss, pop3d looks at /dev/random and then goes to sleep.  It will
return eventually... 5 or 10 minutes later.  I find it odd that imapd
does not behave the same way but it doesn't.

Jon Rowell