Problem authenticating with pop3proxyd

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri Mar 7 14:00:02 EST 2003

Hi,

I have another problem with my Murder setup.  So far, I have it working
fine with a frontend, a backend and an MUPDATE server on separate
machine for IMAP.  All my server are configured to authenticate via
saslauthd, which in turn is authenticating to LDAP.  Here is the
imapd.conf on the frontend :

---
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

# Murder stuff
imap1_password: **************
proxy_authname: murder
mupdate_server: ldap1
mupdate_username: cyrus
mupdate_authname: cyrus
mupdate_password: ***********
---

Here is the saslauthd.conf on the frontend :

---
ldap_servers: ldap://ldap1.test.com/
ldap_bind_dn: cn=Manager,dc=test,dc=com
ldap_bind_pw: *********************
ldap_search_base: ou=people,dc=test,dc=com
---

With an account that work correctly using IMAP (with Mozilla Mail and
imtest), I have the following result :

---
[root at www1 root]# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK www1.test.com Cyrus POP3 Murder v2.1.12 server ready <3885135747.1047062922 at www1.test.com>
user egoyer
+OK Name is a valid mailbox
pass ********
-ERR Authentication to backend server failed
Connection closed by foreign host.
---

In auth.log on the frontend, I have the following :

---
Mar  7 13:48:50 www1 pop3d[19251]: No worthy mechs found
---

Beside the reason why I get this error and what I could do about it, I
would be curious to know how pop3proxyd operate.  Is it :

1. Client open POP connection on frontend, frontend validate by whichever
mean it is configured for (in my case, saslauthd), open an IMAP
connection on the backend, translate POP <-> IMAP to satisfy client
command.

OR

2. Client open POP connection on frontend, get client credentials, open
POP session on the backend using these credentials and just forward POP
command/response from client to server and vice-versa.

Thanks for your answer !

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
PGP Pub Key: http://www.LinuxQuebec.com/pubkeys/eg.key
Fingerprint: F569 0394 098A FC70 B572  5D20 3129 3D86 8FD5 C853