Problems with my compiler ?

Gloria Rom gloriar at library.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 11 16:18:04 EST 2003

Template-Archiv wrote:
[snip]
> After having plenty of problems on my Solaris 8 x86 box with gcc and the
>   linker provided by solaris I now found out
[snip]
> schulte-03:58:27:~ >echo "int main() { return 0; }" > conftest.c
> schulte-03:58:33:~ >gcc -O3 -static conftest.c -o conftest
> schulte-03:58:38:~ >./conftest
> Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
[snip]

> Here are the versions of the tools being used:
>
> schulte-04:11:06:~ >gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.8/2.95.3/specs
> gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
> schulte-04:19:32:~ >ld -V
> ld: Software Generation Utilities - Solaris-ELF (4.0)
>
> Can anybody help ?
>
> --Christian--

I have almost no experience with gcc, and these questions/suggestions
are in no particular order.

Exchange the -O3 for -g so that you can examine the core.

How do you know that the ld found by your command-line environment is
the same ld that is being called by gcc?

gcc probably has an option that causes it to be a bit more verbose. Use
it to learn the options that it is sending to ld. Also tell gcc to tell
ld to be more verbose.

On Solaris, don't ever use /usr/ucb/ld (this warning may be out of
date).

Now that you know which ld man page to trust, have you tried gcc's
-Wl,option?

Find out which libraries are being linked into the static and dynamic
versions. Many compilers/linkers assume that you want a library even if
it isn't explictly listed. Maybe you have a version mismatch between
static and dynamic libraries.

--
Gloria Rom
UCLA Library Information Systems