Outlook Express and Seen database - And Outlook Express and Cyrus in general

Peter 'Luna' Runestig peter+cyrus at runestig.com
Thu Mar 13 06:48:50 EST 2003

On 2003-03-12 18:09, Steve Hanson wrote:
> Does anyone have opinions about whether Outlook Express 6 still
> causes the seen database corruption with Cyrus 2.1.10 or later?

I've been running cyrus for years, with OE as client, and always had the
"seen problem", i.e. seen messages suddenly going back to unseen. I
found that very annoying, but always suspected it to be OE's fault. Last
fall, I moved to Mozilla as imap client, but the seen problem was still
there. But since I upgraded to Cyrus 2.1.12 in early Feb, it's gone
away. :-)

> Also if anyone has any other bad (or good) experiences with
> Outlook Express as a client with Cyrus I'd like to hear about them.

I always found OE to be an excellent client, except:
o Being tied to Microsoft's insecure Internet Explorer framework.
o In some situations, poor message formatting (e.g. converting tabs to
  single spaces, broken "quoted-printable" reply handling).
o Closed source; with Mozilla, I have been able to tweak it to my
  preference.

Cheers,
- Peter
--