Perl 5.8 and Cyrus Imap

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at cox.net
Thu Mar 13 20:50:52 EST 2003

Ken Murchison wrote:
> Does cyradm display the password prompt?  I did a fresh RedHat 8.0 +
> updates (Perl 5.8.0) install on a laptop so I could do some development
> while on the road, and the prompt for the password doesn't display.  It
> took me a while before I realized that cyradm wasn't hung, its just
> silently waiting for input.
>
> I get the same behavior with both Cyrus 2.1.12 and 2.2.0, so I know its
> not related to a change in Cyrus.  What I don't know is if this is a
> problem with Perl 5.8.0, Redhat's packaging of it, or a problem in some
> library that Perl uses.

My system is a home-built (LFS based) kit, not RedHat. There is no pam,
for example.

Anyway, if use

cyradm --auth PLAIN localhost imap

I do get a Password: prompt. I can type anything I want there, it
doesn't matter. Then I get an IMAP Password: prompt. At that point I
must type the actual user's password.

Then I'm in and it works fine.