Cyrus Install Blues on SuSe Linux

Neil Williams neil at metamedia.uk.com
Thu Mar 20 18:12:56 EST 2003

Ralf

Thanks for the idea but no joy :-(

Maybe the output I'm seeing may help.

1) A successful imtest

danu:~ # imtest danu
S: * OK danu Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.12 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE U
IDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJ
ECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE AUTH=OTP AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
S: C01 OK Completed
C: A01 AUTHENTICATE OTP
S: +
Please enter your secret pass-phrase:
C: cm9vdAByb290
S: + b3RwLW1kNSA0OTMgZGExMzg5IGV4dA==
C: aGV4OmEyMzZkZWYyMTRkYjI4Yzg=
S: A01 OK Success (no protection)
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0
. logout
* BYE LOGOUT received
. OK Completed
Connection closed.
danu:~ #

2) An unsuccessful imtest

danu:~ # imtest danu
S: * OK danu Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.12 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE U
IDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJ
ECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE AUTH=OTP AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
S: C01 OK Completed
C: A01 AUTHENTICATE OTP
S: +
Please enter your secret pass-phrase:
C: cm9vdAByb290
S: + b3RwLW1kNSA0OTMgZGExMzg5IGV4dA==
C: aGV4OmEyMzZkZWYyMTRkYjI4Yzg=
S: A01 OK Success (no protection)
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0
. logout
* BYE LOGOUT received
. OK Completed
Connection closed.
danu:~ #tail /var/log/imapd.log
Mar 20 23:17:48 danu master[4776]: process 4826 exited, status 0
Mar 20 23:18:44 danu master[4829]: about to exec /usr/cyrus/bin/imapd
Mar 20 23:18:44 danu imap[4829]: executed
Mar 20 23:18:44 danu imapd[4829]: accepted connection
Mar 20 23:18:48 danu imapd[4829]: badlogin: danu[192.168.1.247] plaintext root S
ASL(-4): no mechanism available: checkpass failed
Mar 20 23:20:00 danu master[4776]: process 4829 exited, status 0

Any further suggestions would be appreciated. I've a hunch that I may have to configure, make and install sasl and the imapd with appropriate options but I have no idea what options to set - I think I've tried the obvious ones. I'm sure it will be something trivial but that doesn't relieve my frustration :-(

Many Thanks

Neil Williams