restoring old mail messages

corner at chello.at corner at chello.at
Fri Mar 21 15:54:56 EST 2003

Hi,

I removed the cyrus.* files from two directories and ran reconstruct on them
with no apparent results. The cyrus.* files were not rebuilt and the data is
still inaccessible.  It may be related to the fact that I had previously
inadvertently deleted the /var/imap/db and mailboxes files and had to
reinitialize the whole data structure from scratch.  I had saved the message
directories separately and had hoped I could reintroduce the old messages and
run reconstruct to gain access to the previous data.  It doesn't work!

Thanks I am still hoping for a miracle, but am afraid the old data is never to
be accessible again.

Tom Corner

On 21-Mar-2003 Ken Murchison wrote:
> corner at chello.at wrote:
>> Hello and thanks,
>>
>> I have tried the reconstruct program.  The problem is the header files
>> cyrus.*
>> are corrupt.  There are many messages in the mailboxes, but they don't show
>> up
>> in a mail client.  Reconstruct takes no time to execute and acts as if it is
>> doing nothing.
>
> Remove the cyrus.* files and run reconstruct.
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom Corner

>>>Search the cyrus-imapd docs. Keywords are 'reconstruct'...

> --
> Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
> Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
> 716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
> --PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

|\/\/\___/\/\/| Carol Anne Corner &
\____ o o ____/ Thomas Corner corner at chello.at
     )   (     21-Mar-2003 21:45:32  Vienna,  Austria