Cyrus debugging

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Mar 26 09:17:02 EST 2003

Oliver Pitzeier wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The problem I'm currently working on shows me, that there is not a very good
> error catching in Cyrus IMAP.

There is a big difference between error catching and tracing execution
with DEBUG messages.  If you're trying to track down a crash, then you
should be looking at a core file.

> It also shows me, that there are too few debug possibilities.
>
> Look at this:
> [oliver at mail-csb imap]$ grep -i debug imap*
> imapd.c:    syslog(LOG_DEBUG, "open: user %s opened %s", imapd_userid, name);
>
> Only ONE(!) line???

The majority of imapd's work is not done in imap* files.  There are 80
LOG_DEBUG entries in the imap/ directory, and 141 in 2.1.12.

This is in addition to all of the LOG_INFO, LOG_NOTICE, ...  -- 990
total!!

I personally wouldn't want the performance of Cyrus bogged down trying
to report every little detail to log files.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127