ctl_cyrusdb -r performance over NFS

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Thu Mar 27 11:47:16 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Andrew McNamara wrote:

> >A SAN is just a different transport mechanism between the host and the
> >drives -- the protocol is the same old SCSI that has been around for
> >years.  That said, there is less interoperability than one would like at
> >this point.
> >
> >The basic problem with NFS is that either you violate standard Unix
> >filesystem semantics or you have pitiful performance (by disabling
> >client-side caching).  Add to that the idea that locking was an
> >after-thought (the design goal of a stateless filesystem doesn't exactly
> >fit with maintaining locks) and it is really a mess.
> >
> >As long as you only have one machine writing to the data, you don't have
> >to worry so much about broken filesystem semantics (which is why your
> >Oracle instance works), but you still have lousy performance.
>
> You assume I don't already know this... 8-)
>
> BTW, I don't think it's "violate unix semantics OR pitiful perfomance" -
> the protocol is flawed in ways that make that "violate unix semantics
> AND pitiful perfomance". In particular, lost, out of order or replayed
> requests are not fully addressed by the stateless design.
>
> For what it's worth, we go to extraordinary lengths to ensure only one
> host hits a given NFS volume at a time, we spend silly amounts of money to
> keep the latency down and the bandwidth up, and we use the best quality
> NFS implementations we can.

Even the best NFS implemantation cannot come close to direct attached
storage performance and stability.  If you go to great lenghts to ensure
that only one machine can access a given NFS volume, why not go to direct
attached storage?

> I'm not convined that SAN (where "storage" is a euphemism for "disk") is
> really the answer to anything. Network attached storage (where "storage"
> is a euphemism for "file server") is a far more convenient model. We just
> need a better protocol. If only Plan9 had gained a critical mass... 8-)

I am not sure SAN is the right term here, but fibre channel hba/fibre
channel switch (if needed)/storage array is extremely stable and fast
performing solution.  This allows you have a centraly managed storage for
just about all your platforms.  With right hardware you can also setup
network attached storage from this platform.

Maybe iSCSI is something to look at...

--
Igor