using postgresql | sasl mailbox database for sendmail delivery?

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Thu Mar 27 21:02:58 EST 2003

Hi,

How can I get sendmail to use my sasl database as its mailbox database.
There is a note about this in the code and man page for mail.local (-D
mbdb) but it seems I have to patch sendmail to use anything but /etc/passwd
or possibly LDAP?

Ideally, what I would like is to keep all users in postgresql and
authenticate and edeliver based on lookups to this database. I have an
existsing web application that has a user database, and I want to offer
email account to these users. The users already have md5 encrypted
passwords in a table (created using FreeBSD's crypt(3)), and the ultimate
experience would to be able to use these passwords for authentication.
Perhaps this is too much; creating a new password would be OK.

The problem, as I see it, is two-fold:

1. get sendmail to deliver to userids thar are *not* in either /etc/passwd
nor LDAP, but in some other database, preferrably (but not neccesarily)
postgresql. I would consider dumping sendmail for postfix if it has a
turn-key solution for this.

2. get cyrus to authenticate users with that same database.

1 might be accomplished using mail.local -D pgsql or similar, but I would
have to write the code from scratch. Unfortunately, there is no time for
that...

2, well there is a pam module, or I guess it would be easy to modify the
sasl mysql module for postgres...

I use FreeBSD 4.8 (well, almost) w/ sendmail 8.12.8. the cyrus imapd & sasl
would both be 2.1.12.

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Palle