MTAs that pass SMTP AUTH?

Scott Balmos sbalmos at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 30 12:52:37 EST 2003

(originally sent with wrong email address. Sorry to the human who has to clear
out the moderation mailbox. :( )

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any other MTAs that can pass SMTP AUTH info along to
Cyrus, other than Sendmail? I'm thinking in the base case here, of a single
server, for an intranet. We've already, unfortunately, ruled out Postfix
earlier last week, I think I remember reading.

I'm just trying to find a way to do the fabled per-user posting rights ACL
matching for shared folders. Indeed, I'm not sure, maybe someone could
clarify this for me. What good is having +p if you can't match it to specific
users? The question is not counting normal users' private Inboxes. Besides,
not having +p at all means the mailbox is basically read only... which
defeats the purpose again because then you wouldn't have any content to put
in, but that's a logic loop. :D

Earlier, a week or so ago, I posted my current hack, which was to set the
deliver program to read the username from the user portion of the user+folder
email address. But, of course, that's not real authentication, since anyone
could grab a username with posting rights by reading the message (since the
username is in the email address, which is in the To or Cc field of the
message). Plus that's using the deliver agent, and not LMTP.

Any ideas, pointers to docs for things like this, anyone else done this
somewhere, sometime? :(

Thanks.

--
Scott Balmos