Linking imapd with db-4.1.25

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Fri Jun 6 16:56:15 EDT 2003

Lars Peterson wrote:

>Here's some output from config.log:
>
><====snip====>
>configure:5808: checking for db_create in -ldb-4.1
>configure:5839: gcc -o conftest -Wall -g -O2 -I/usr/local/itech/iwaymail/include
>-L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -
>L/usr/local/itech/iwaymail/lib conftest.c -ldb-4.1
>-L/usr/local/itech/iwaymail/lib  -lresolv  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/itech/iw
>aymail/lib >&5
>/usr/local/itech/iwaymail/lib/libdb-4.1.so: undefined reference to
>`pthread_condattr_setpshared'
>/usr/local/itech/iwaymail/lib/libdb-4.1.so: undefined reference to
>`pthread_mutexattr_destroy'
>/usr/local/itech/iwaymail/lib/libdb-4.1.so: undefined reference to
>`pthread_mutexattr_setpshared'
>/usr/local/itech/iwaymail/lib/libdb-4.1.so: undefined reference to
>`pthread_mutexattr_init'
>/usr/local/itech/iwaymail/lib/libdb-4.1.so: undefined reference to
>`pthread_mutex_trylock'
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>configure:5842: $? = 1
><====snip====>
>
>Any ideas where I might find some support for db-4.1.25? Can't find any mailing
>lists or news feeds on sleepycat's site.

Ah, you are running into fun with RH9's NPTL (New Posix Threads
Library).  If you look at the archives for this list you will find some
discussion about it.  I believe the quick and dirty solution was to
compile DB4 with a flag telling it to assume phtreads were not
available, but Simon also posted a link to a discussion at RedHat about
more general issues with NPTL.

The particular errors you are getting are because it can't find the
pthreads library when it does the test.  You can fix that by telling
configure to use -lpthreads on any compiles, but if I remember correctly
you will then run into other issues when DB4 tries to do some operations
on the threads.

I am staying with RH8 for my production machines because of this and a
few other minor issues.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931