Tuning Suggestions

Michael Bacon baconm at duke.edu
Tue Jun 10 14:29:02 EDT 2003

I can't tell precicely from your report, but it may have something to do
with a problem we've seen several times.

In case of memory exhaustion, Cyrus can begin to behave badly.  What
happens is the master ends up with an incorrect number of available
processes, such that it believes there are sufficient workers to handle the
incoming connections, when in fact there are not.  The easiest way to check
this is to look at those times when you see failed connections, and look to
see if you've had any memory bottlenecks shortly before then.  If you see
any problems with memory exhaustion, it's generally a good idea to restart
the cyrus server.  (If you're daring, you can attach to it with a debugger
and manually modify the Services[] array, but that's a bit dicey...)

Michael

--On Tuesday, June 10, 2003 10:51:19 -0400 John Straiton