ctl_cyrusdb looping

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:54:06 EDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Jim Howell wrote:

> However the "ctl_cyrusdb -r" process didn't end, it appeared to start
> looping.  I rebuilt the mailboxes.db from a text backup (ctl_mboxlist
> -d  output).  But to no avail.  I still received the "recovered"
> message.  I finally just killed the "ctl_cyrusdb -r" after receiving the
> "recovered" message and everything started working, killing the recovery
> after it said it was done worked.

What was your indication that it was looping?

> The first time through I let it run for 15 minutes, the "done" message came
> in 81 seconds.  Should I of let it keep going?  What can I do to prevent
> this from happening again?  Thanks.

Most likely it was processing your duplicate delivery database, which can
be quite large and take some time to process (you can generally tell what
is going on by truss/strace on the process).

Options you have are to just delete it or to wait.  Killing the process in
the middle of recovery is probably not ideal.

If you're using Berkeley DB for your duplicate delivery database, you many
want to look at increasing your checkpoint frequency.  This could help
reduce the amount of log that needs to be played back during recovery.

-Rob