Sieve failure on deliverdb corruption...

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 19 00:35:23 EDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Rob Mueller wrote:

> 1. Duplicate DB errors causes mail delivery to fail
>
> a) Email lost/bounced. Really bad.

It depends on the type of failure.

If we're returing 5xx error codes, then yes, this is the case.  Otherwise,
we have a case where sieve isn't answering (say, if it fatal()s as in my
other message) or its returning temp failures.  In this case, the MTA
should queue for several days, and no mail should be lost (provided your
administrator/monitoring system is awake).

> 2. Duplicate DB errors causes sieve to fail
> 3. Duplicate DB errors cause multiple vacation responses/redirects

These are harder to detect in an automated fashion, and thus are likely to
persist for longer than just killing lmtpd totally.

Offhand, I'm not totally convinced killing lmtpd is the right course of
action, but it does make the failure very easy to detect (and the logs
tend to make it obvious that a corrupted deliver.db is the problem).

-Rob