Quota.

John Wade jwade at oakton.edu
Fri Jun 20 07:02:03 EDT 2003

I was thinking about this yesterday as I worked with our help desk folks
to mollify another angry user who could not figure out how to manage
their mailbox and ended up over quota.   While I agree with the design
of Cyrus in principle (delete in place and expunge), in practice, there
are enough mail clients that use the "move to trash" model and an
expectation in the user community that this is how computers work (based
on the delete model in both the Windows and Macintosh worlds) that I
think I need to figure out a way to accomodate them.

 When we upgrade our Cyrus version to 2.1.x or 2.2 later this summer,
(curently on 2.0.16) I was planning to see if I could put a patch
together to have COPY not enfore quotas.   Or maybe for the really
paranoid, not enforce quotas if the destination mailbox is
user.<username>.Trash )     This would seem to solve most of the "move
to trash" delete quota problems.  While I could see ways that this could
lead to abuse of the mail server,  I think for the vast majority of
 users, the shutdown of delivery of new messages woul be sufficient
incentive to fix the over quota status and the risk of abuse is
relatively small/

Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?  Is this a really bad idea?

Any tips on where in the code to look?  I spent a few minutes looking at
imapd.c, index.c and append.c in 2.0.16 and I am guessing that if I
change the quotacheck argument to -1 in the append_setup call in
index_copy it will bypass the quota check on copy.   Have not actually
tried this yet.

Thanks,
John Wade