sieve generic failure

rahul rahul at websamhita.com
Tue Jun 24 08:03:12 EDT 2003

Hello Everybody!!
               I have the problem related to sieve of version 1.0.0  which come up with cyrus-imapd 1.6.24. It is much older one. But on our many servers ( with redhat linux 7.2 )cyrus imapd 1.6.24 is installed already.

On my local machine red hat linux 7.2,
I have installled cyrus imapd 1.6.24 & cyrus-sasl 1.5.24 successfully .
     I also  installed sieve in /usr/sieve directory  with mkimap utility.
permission for sieve & its subdirectory  are cyrus (user permission), mail(group permission) .
In /etc/imapd.conf , contents are as follows
=======================================
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: sr_imapadmin
sasl_pwcheck_method: pam
allowanonymouslogin: no
allowplaintext: yes
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sievedir: /usr/sieve
server: mydream.com
=======================================
I also  put sieve file  in /etc/xinetd.d whose contents are as follows ...
=======================================
service sieve
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = cyrus
        server          = /usr/cyrus/bin/timsieved
}
====================================
I have also put "sieve  2000/tcp "  entry in /etc/services ..

Now, When i  give command "telnet 0 sieve"
it shows
Trying 0.0.0.0...
Connected to 0.
Escape character is '^]'.
"Cyrus timsieved v1.0.0" "SASL={PLAIN, LOGIN}"
it  does not show  sieve related information ..
& when i give the command
"installsieve -m PLAIN -u rahulna123  -l localhost"
it gives following output ..
 Authentication failed with: "generic failure"
Authentication failed.

It shows  following in imapd.log
Jun 24 15:30:07 rahul timsieved[6524]: badlogin:localhost[127.0.0.1] PLAIN generic failure
Password authentication is done using PAM ..
For this  i have put sieve file in /etc/pam.d/ , whose contents are ..
====================================
#%PAM-1.0
auth required  /lib/security/pam_mysql.so user=mm_mydream passwd=nofear26 host=localhost db=db_mydream  table=users usercolumn=userid passwdcolumn=passwo
rd crypt=0
account    required   /lib/security/pam_mysql.so  user=mm_mydream  passwd=nofear26  host=localhost db=db_mydream  table=users usercolumn=userid passwdcolumn=password crypt=0
crypt =0  because i am checking plaintext  password .

I can not use sieveshell utility Because with this package it does not come & i can not shift for  newer version( 2.1.12 )  ...
So, my question is
             How i can install scripts in the sieve ????
            Is vacation,reject,redirect  features supported  for sieve 1.0.0  ????
if it is , then how i configure it ??

Any help will  appreciated ...

Regards
Rahul ...