email address as username

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at bellavista.cz
Sat Jun 28 11:19:57 EDT 2003

I'm trying to set up Cyrus IMAPd 2.1.13 with SASL 2.1.13 on
FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE (using the ports). The goal is to use either MySQL or
OpenLDAP as the authentication backend, but I ran into a problem right
at the start, using sasldb2.

The usernames need to be full email addresses, and SASL seems to be
quite unhappy with the at sign.

I can't find where the docs say what characters are (il)legal in
usernames, and in fact the only hint I found was in the %r escape
description under MySQL auxprop options (of all places). The sentence
directs the reader to "the realm documentation". Where is it?