Quota.

John Wade jwade at oakton.edu
Mon Jul 7 17:52:55 EDT 2003

Joe Rhett wrote:

> > > a quota warning message from the Trash mailbox.    Since the IMAP alert does
> > > not specify the mailbox that the quota warning applies to, the user assumes
> > > that it is the inbox and continues to try and delete messages until they go
>                 ..              ..
> > Ok, so maybe it makes sense to change the message to "over quota in
> > quotaroot x."  This is definately a reasonable change.
>                 ..              ..
> > I'll file a bug on amending the quota warnings to include the mailbox name
> > (of course, this only helps if they ever select the mailbox).
>
> Um, can we not use "quotaroot" in the message.  Guaranteed to get helpdesk
> calls on a word that no standard user knows.
>
> How about just "over quota in xxxx"  where xxx is the quota root?  Since
> this matches the mailbox name they are over quota in, it will make sense to
> the user and still be specific for debugging.

This isn't perfect either since it is really the entire mailbox hierarchy under the
quota root that is over quota.    For example, if you set a quota root on the inbox
and then the user fills up a subfolder of inbox, they may be over quota with no
messages in their inbox at all.   If the error message reported is "over quota in
user.joesmith" or "over quota in INBOX", they are still going to call the help
desk.    Maybe it should be something like,   "over quota in INBOX or a subfolder"

For my own personal quota problems, I finally gave up and against Rob's better
judgement,  I removed the quota enforcement on COPY to any mailbox whose name
contains ".Trash".   I put a separate cron script in place to email me if it finds
any users who are at more than 200% of there quota to catch any malicious users.
This seems to be working well so far, although it is a kluge with security risks.

diff index.c index.c.org
1220,1228c1220
< /* next lines changed to allow copy to Trash when usr over quota */
< /* jwidera jwade 6/27/03 lets users "move to Trash" when over quota */
<
<     if ( strstr(name,".Trash") ) {
<        r = append_setup(&append_mailbox, name, MAILBOX_FORMAT_NORMAL,
<                    imapd_userid, imapd_authstate, ACL_INSERT, -1);
<     }
<     else {
<        r = append_setup(&append_mailbox, name, MAILBOX_FORMAT_NORMAL,
---
>     r = append_setup(&append_mailbox, name, MAILBOX_FORMAT_NORMAL,
1230d1221
<     }

Enjoy,
John