quota warning problem - Is it a bug of cyrus imap?

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Mon Jul 7 17:20:39 EDT 2003

Joe Rhett wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 12:29:41PM -0500, Paul M Fleming wrote:
>

>>Rounding error would present a problem for us and our users. My 2 cents
>>.. quotas > 4GB are fairly rare. I know with a large student user base
>>with 50-75Mb quotas rounding to the nearest K wouldn't be desirable.
>>

>Okay, color me confused.  Say your mailbox quota is 50mb.  Isn't that
>exactly 51200k?
>
>Or do you really need to give some users 5,121,133 byte quotas?  Do you
>really manage your quotas down to less than 1 kilobyte, when you are giving
>the users 50 megabyte boundaries on the low side?
>
>Or am I missing your point entirely?

The problem is if you keep only the count of kBytes in a mailbox, what
do you do when you receive a message of 512 bytes?  Do you not count it
at all, or do you count it as 1kB?  If you keep actual bytes, you still
have the problem of it fitting in a 32-bit number, and if you round it
either way the quota will eventually be so wrong it is useless.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931