quota warning problem - Is it a bug of cyrus imap?

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Mon Jul 7 18:31:52 EDT 2003

> >Or do you really need to give some users 5,121,133 byte quotas?  Do you
> >really manage your quotas down to less than 1 kilobyte, when you are giving
> >the users 50 megabyte boundaries on the low side?
> >Or am I missing your point entirely?
> >
> The problem is if you keep only the count of kBytes in a mailbox, what
> do you do when you receive a message of 512 bytes?  Do you not count it
> at all, or do you count it as 1kB?  If you keep actual bytes, you still
> have the problem of it fitting in a 32-bit number, and if you round it
> either way the quota will eventually be so wrong it is useless.

I doubt (I may be wrong) that the idea was to round everything -- just the
actual quota.  So calculate each message normally and then round the total
to k to compare against the quota.

Since the error of margin could be 1/2 k, with 1 million users you could
possibly end up using 500mb more space than you intended if they were all
overquota and at the top of the margin of error.  I doubt this counts as a
significant problem.

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett at Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.