4.3.0 lmtpd: Virtual memory exhausted - problem :(

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Tue Jul 1 10:39:39 EDT 2003

Pascal Gienger wrote:

> I am using Cyrus IMAP 2.1.12 (Suse Linux package, no source install
> allowed here), and we see some errors from lmtpd saying "Virtual
> memory exhausted".
>
> ulimits are unlimited for every resource (no limit), and there are 4
> Gigabytes of swap used by 5% and 2 Gigabytes of RAM.
> System is GNU/Linux 2.4.20-64GB.
>
> Our postfix mailer tries to deliver a message to a local lmtpd (Cyrus
> system) and here is the result:
>
> Jun 30 07:38:43 rauch postfix/lmtp[3129]: EC7FD4400088:
> to=<pop03971 at rauch.rz.uni-konstanz.de>,
> orig_to=<Joerg.Dieter.Friedrich at uni-konstanz.de>,
> relay=/mail/cyrus/socket/lmtp[/mail/cyrus/socket/lmtp], delay=142730,
> status=deferred (host /mail/cyrus/socket/lmtp[/mail/cyrus/socket/lmtp]
> said: 421 4.3.0 lmtpd: Virtual memory exhausted (in reply to end of
> DATA command))
>
> Has anybody seen this already? Which memory lmtpd claims to be exhausted?
> With no process limits at all?

What version of DB are you running?  Does this happen immediately or
only after it has been running a while?  On Solaris 9 with DB 4.1.24-25,
we had a problem where DB functions would eventually return ENOSPC,
which might be interpreted as "Virtual memory exhausted".  There has
been a patch posted to Cyrus to fix this problem, but if you can't use a
source package you might have to downgrade to DB 4.0.14 if this is your
problem.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931