[PROPOSAL] Sieve for shared mailboxes

Cyrus Daboo daboo at cyrusoft.com
Tue Jul 8 10:51:17 EDT 2003

Hi Ken,

--On Tuesday, July 8, 2003 9:59 AM -0400 Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com>
wrote:

| In the past, people have requested the ability to run sieve scripts when
| messages are posted directly to shared mailboxes (via +detail
| addressing).  I have suggested that this would be possible by associating
| a script with the 'postuser' (typically "bb" or ""), but this was deemed
| unacceptable as people wanted more fine grained control over which
| mailboxes would have the script run.
|
| Now that Cyrus 2.2 has support for mailbox annotations, I believe that we
| can provide the functionality that people desire.  I propose the
| following:
|
| We will create a new "/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/sieve" shared annotation
| which can only be set by an admin.  Whenever a message is posted directly
| to a shared mailbox, the script specified by the /sieve annotation (if
| any) will be run.
|
| Question: Should the annotation be inherited by child mailboxes?  This
| would allow the same script to be run on an entire hierarchy by only
| setting one annotation.

Inheritance may be wanted (I suspect a lot of people will want that given
that I know a lot of people have requested various mailbox inheritance
behaviours in Mulberry). I think you will need to add another annotation to
turn on or off inheritance for all children:
"/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/sieve-inherit" with values "true" or "false". The
server would have to manage the inheritance behaviour itself since
ANNOTATEMORE does not have inheritance built-in (this does beg the question
as to whether ANNOTATEMORE should have inheritance built-in but that will
add a lot of complexity). The question is whether to make inheritance the
default or not.

Also note that this has to also work by adding a script to a \NoSelect
mailbox (i.e. one that is a 'directory' rather than a message container) -
but ANNOTATEMORE requires that to be supported.

Does a SIEVE fileinto constitute a 'post' operation that would trigger an
attached script? If so, then you need to make sure loops are prevented.

What about IMAP APPEND? Does that trigger the script? It really ought to as
well.

Will you extend ManageSIEVE to allow setting scripts on mailboxes via that
protocol?

Should a script attached to INBOX actually be the users primary (delivery)
SIEVE script? If so setting that script via IMAP ANNTATEMORE should have
the same effect as doing so via ManageSIEVE.

--
Cyrus Daboo