API to write to lmtp directly

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Jul 9 10:22:45 EDT 2003

Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 13:13, mb wrote:
>
>>At 11:52 +0530 Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
>>
>>>Is there an API available with which I can directly write to lmtp
>>>instead of sending a mail
>>
>>Er.. LMTP? :)
>>
>>>I am presently using postfix and sending the mail, But I believe that
>>>calling an smtp agent has its own overheads.
>>>I am sending 10-15 messages to around 850 mailboxes every hour using
>>>postfix and aliases. The problem is there are too many lmtp processes
>>>and I get lmtp lock errors too often
>>
>>You're asking the wrong list! I believe that's really quite a small
>>message load, and that postfix can talk LMTP over a unix socket directly.
>>
>>Are the lmtp processes "lmtpd" or "deliver" ?
>>
> It is not that my server is getting loaded up because of the mails.
> After I limt the number of concurrent lmtp connections I am able to
> reduce the db lock errors to a great extent. Now I have set max lmtp
> processes as 100 , But what will happen if my user mailboxes grow to
> 4000 from todays 850 then the mails will be delayed forever. By the time
> there will be the next batch to process.
>
> So I thought if there was a way of directly writing to lmtp and to all
> mailboxes at the same time I will do better

You do not want to try to deliver mail outside of the protocols, if
that's what you mean.

In theory you should be able to deliver a message to all of your users
with one LMTP connection.  The connection would have one RCPT TO command
for each user.  I don't know off of the top of my head if lmtpd limits
the number or recipients that are allowed in one connection, but I know
its more than 8.  If Postfix is making 100 connections to deliver the
same message to 850 recipients, then its misconfigured.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127