Determining deliverability

Pat Lashley patl at volant.org
Sun Jul 13 19:36:17 EDT 2003

--On Sunday, July 13, 2003 11:11:09 -0400 Rob Siemborski
<rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Pat Lashley wrote:
>
>> In particular, is there any clean method for an MTA like exim to
>> determine whether a given local part is deliverable via the Cyrus
>> lmtpd?  (Or, more accurately, would it be deliverable if sieve
>> were turned off and there are no problems with quotas, etc.)
>> I am particularly interested in being able to do so with local
>> parts which contain detail notation for submailboxes.  (E.g.,
>> 'patl+cyrus.users')
>
> Er... Whats wrong with just attempting delviery of the message?

Because if it can't deliver to a Cyrus mailbox, then I want it to
go ahead and try something else.  But by that point it is too late;
the cyrus router has already accepted it.

> Or do you want your MTA to reject the message during the SMTP session and
> not bounce it later?
>
> If you want the later situation, you might be stuck.

Yes, I also want to check for a valid address during the verification
pass; which may happen during ACL checking while the SMTP session is
still open.

-Pat