Determining deliverability

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jul 13 21:06:42 EDT 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Pat Lashley wrote:

> > Er... Whats wrong with just attempting delviery of the message?
>
> Because if it can't deliver to a Cyrus mailbox, then I want it to
> go ahead and try something else.  But by that point it is too late;
> the cyrus router has already accepted it.

Hmmm, yeah, I guess I see your problem.

> > Or do you want your MTA to reject the message during the SMTP session and
> > not bounce it later?
> >
> > If you want the later situation, you might be stuck.
>
> Yes, I also want to check for a valid address during the verification
> pass; which may happen during ACL checking while the SMTP session is
> still open.

Yeah, to do all of this you basicly need all of the code that LMTP uses to
check a RCPT TO:.  But to do that you need to know all the internals of
cyrus.

If checking existence of a mailbox is good enough, perhaps the "mbpath"
utility could do something for you.

-Rob