SASL2 doesn't work

Bitt Faulk wfaulk at beaglebros.com
Mon Jul 14 15:49:14 EDT 2003

I've been arguing with this off and on for months trying to upgrade my
old Cyrus installation, but I *cannot* get SASL2 to work.

All I want is for Cyrus to authenticate against /etc/sasldb2.db.  That's
it.  But it refuses to work.

My imapd.conf:
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus
#sasl_pwcheck_method: sasldb
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
tls_cert_file: /var/imap/server.pem
tls_key_file: /var/imap/server.pem
sievedir: /var/imap/sieve
loginrealms: inky

Note that there is no libauxprop.a in /usr/lib/sasl2/ and no apparent
way to make one in the source.  The loginrealms line was a desperate
attempt.

My /etc/sasldb2.db file is owned by cyrus, so he should be able to read
it okay.  sasldblistusers2 shows the one user I've bothered to put in so
far with saslpasswd2.

Logs include lines like these:

Jul 14 15:33:58 inky imapd[10122]: badlogin:
inky-wi0.internal.beaglebros.com[192.168.2.254] plaintext wfaulk
SASL(-13): user not found: checkpass failed

and a system trace reveals that it's trying to look for an auxprop
plugin and failing.

Any help would be appreciated.  My mail server is down right now.  I'll
have to check the web archive for this list, or, if you're nice, you
could cc: mspg8l302 at sneakemail.com

Thanks.  I hope someone can help, as I'm in a bind.  I'm sure I could
downgrade, but I'd really rather not.

-Bitt