subscribing for a user

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Jul 17 08:34:26 EDT 2003

Phil Chambers wrote:

> Thanks for that patch, I will consider applying it.  In the meantime I have
> discovered that the subscription list appears to be just a plain text file held in
> the configdirectory!  It is in the hashed subdirectory section under the user
> subdirectory of the directory given for "configdirectory" in /etc/imapd.conf.
>
> I just create the file (named <username>.sub) containing each folder name followed
> by a tab character, one per line in alphabetic order.
>
> If there is some reason why this will not always work then I would like to know.
>
> Now I just need to sort out how to retain the message status information when I
> convert the BSD format to cyrus!  This appears to be in another file alongside the
> subscription file.  I just need to figure out the syntax.

If you use the skiplist backend for seen state, you'll have a *very*
hard time creating this outside of the protocol.  You *could* create it
using the flat file backend and then convert it, but I wouldn't
recommend this either.

What I would do it use the mailtuil utility from the UW IMAP server
distro to migrate the messages.  This utility will copy the messages
from your mbox format to Cyrus and set the \Seen flag accordingly.  It
might also do subscriptions, but I don't know.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127