Unable to delete mailbox

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Jul 17 08:38:07 EDT 2003

Jim Norton wrote:
> Hello folks:
>
>  I did something stupid.  I am runing Cyrus Imap 2.2.0 Alpha.
>  One day I decided it was time to remove a mailbox because a
>  user wanted a different email name.
>
>  So I delete the name and password information from the sasl2 database
>  and then when into the /var/spool/imap/user and deleted the users
>  directory.

All admin shouldbe done via the IMAP protocol (eg, cyradm).  Never
remove files/directories by hand unless it is *absolutely* necessary.

>  Now when I telnet to my imap port and log in as the administrator and
>  try to do a " . delete user.mailboxname " I get an error:
>
>  . NO System I/O Error
>
>  When people send email to this user now,  Postfix just fallsback to delivering
>  it to Cyrus where it goes into a black hole.  Problem is that the sender
>  doesn't get a bounce email back.
>
>  So anybody know how I can go about getting Cyrus to forget about that mailboxname?

Recreate the directory for the mailbox, and then retry the DELETE.  You
*may* have to run reconstruct on the mailbox first.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127