Murder problem with Syslog

Marc-Andre Gaudreau Marc-Andre.Gaudreau at USherbrooke.ca
Thu Jul 17 12:06:58 EDT 2003

Hi,

We have a weird problem on our Murder setup (cyrus 2.1.14 on redhat
7.3).  When I restart syslog on one of the backend servers, the
frontends start to have problems and I get a bunch of error messages (on
the frontends).  Users then see their folders as if they were empty (for
about half the connections).  When I restart cyrus on the backend,
everything comes back to normal.  I also have to restart cyrus on the
frontends because restarting cyrus on the backends causes the load to go
way up on the frontends (a few proxyd processes use a lot of cpu).

The error message I get on the frontends is :
"couldn't authenticate to backend server: generic failure"

Nothing weird shows up in the logs on the backend.  Any ideas on what is
going on?  We use DIGEST-MD5 to authenticate on the backends for the
proxy user.