flock vs fnctl

Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Mon Jul 28 17:05:49 EDT 2003

--On Monday, July 28, 2003 10:26 AM -0400 Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com>
wrote:

> Rob Siemborski wrote:
>> However, in Scott's case, he's not renaming the user, he's just moving it
>> between partitions.  I don't think we should be iterating across the list
>> to fix the username in this case (so we should fix this ;)...
>
> Scott,
>
> Try this (untested) patch which I just applied to CVS:
>
> http://bugzilla.andrew.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/cyrus/imap/imapd.c.
> diff?r1=1.398.2.88&r2=1.398.2.89&f=u

I can confirm that this patch works as expected!  The rename of a user
from one partition to another without changing the name of the user now
takes 16 seconds (on the user we tried) to complete.  This is the same
amount of time it took to rename the same user under the 2.0.16 code.

Thanks!
Scott
      Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
   UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss at ohio.edu
        ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
     PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/