RENAMES while users is logged in...

Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Tue Jul 22 16:33:49 EDT 2003

We are going to restruture our IMAP stores across more partitions (meaning,
more disks) to improve our disk I/O performance and to improve our ability
to get these things backed up.

The two ways that I am aware of doing this is as follows:

  1) issue RENAME commands at the IMAP protocol level, renaming a user
     from one partition to another

  2) moving the IMAP directories at the UNIX level and modifying the
     mailboxes.db file manually to reflect the changed location

We are looking at doing the first one.  Currently, we are doing this on
the 2.0.16 version with the mailboxes.db file in the flat file format.

So, what happens if the user is logged in?  I definitely saw the warning
in the docs about avoiding logged in users for rename commands.  We aren't
able to shutdown the server to do the work, so I am not exactly sure how
we determine if a user is already logged in or how to disable a user from
logging in while the process works.

Would doing a reconstruct on the user account as the very last thing help
solve some of the inconsistencies that might develop with the server and
client getting out of sync?

Thanks,
Scott
      Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
   UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss at ohio.edu
        ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
     PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/