Trouble running Cyrus IMAP 2.1.14

Michael Ellis mellis at ellissoftworks.com
Thu Jul 24 13:37:55 EDT 2003

Hi Rob.

I thought your suggestion to try truss/strace was a good one, so
performed the Mac OS X equivalent.  On that OS, the command you want is
called "sample" (included with the developer tools).

After starting MASTER and attempting to telnet to the IMAP port, MASTER
dutifully spawns the IMAPD process, which then seems to get hung and
never responds.

It looks like the call to "sasl_server_init" from "service_init" might
be getting stuck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

-Mike Ellis

Here's the stack trace output from sample:
----------
Sampling 8665 each 10 msecs 100 times
Now analyzing results...
Samples: 780 bytes
vmutils: Skipped registration; module state not fully linked (state=3)
Analysis written to file /tmp/imapd_8665.sample.txt
[powermac7300:~/Installers/cyrus-imapd-2.1.14] root# more
/tmp/imapd_8665.sample.txt
Analysis of sampling pid 8665 during 1 secs
         100 samples

Call graph:
     100 Thread_0
       100 start
         100 _start
           100 main
             100 service_init
               100 sasl_server_init
                 100 _sasl_load_plugins
                   100 _sasl_get_plugin
                     100 dlopen
                       100 loadModule
                         100 NSLinkModule
                           100 _dyld_link_module
                             100 link_in_need_modules
                               100 call_image_init_routines
                                 100 InitializeErrorLib
                                   100 CFBundleGetBundleWithIdentifier
                                     100
_CFBundleGetMainBundleAlreadyLocked
                                       100
_CFBundleCopyInfoDictionaryInResourceF
orkWithAllocator
                                         100 CFURLGetFSRef
                                           100 _CFGetFSRefFromURL
                                             100
__CF_FSPathMakeRef_internal
                                               100 NSLookupSymbolInImage
                                                 100
_dyld_NSLookupSymbolInImage
                                                   100
link_in_need_modules
                                                     100
call_image_init_routines
                                                       100
InitializePreferencesL
ib
                                                         100
CFBundleGetBundleWit
hIdentifier
                                                           100 nanosleep
                                                             99
clock_sleep_trap
                                                               99
clock_sleep_tra
p [STACK TOP]
                                                             1
clock_get_time
                                                               1
mach_msg_overwri
te
                                                                 1
mach_msg_overw
rite_trap
                                                                   1
mach_msg_ove
rwrite_trap [STACK TOP]

Total number in stack (recursive counted multiple, when >=5):

Sort by top of stack, same collapsed (when >= 5):
         clock_sleep_trap [STACK TOP]        99

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 12:23  PM, Rob Siemborski wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Michael Ellis wrote:
>
>> What's interesting is that MASTER does spawn the appropriate daemon
>> (be
>> it IMAPD or POP3D), but when the IMAPD daemon runs, it continually
>> chews up about 10% of the CPU (according to top).  This leads me to
>> believe that IMAPD is continually trying to perform an operation that
>> is failing.
>
> Have you tried running truss/strace on the affected process to see what
> its trying to do?
>
>> Is is possible that MASTER, which runs as root, is then spawning IMAPD
>> as the cyrus user, and the OS is denying IMAPD access to the
>> privileged
>> IMAP port (because of the cyrus user's reduced privileges)?  Just a
>> thought.
>
> No, master opens the port and the forked imapd inherets the file
> descriptor.
>
> -Rob

Michael F. Ellis
President