"@" in mailbox names

Daniel Lawson dhtrl1 at cs.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Jul 28 22:56:48 EDT 2003

I want to use the @ character in a mailbox name in cyrus 2.1.x

I have a virtual domain setup, using LDAP as the backend, and exim as
the MTA. Everything works fine if I use usernames of the format
user__domain_part1_part2, however that isn't very nice for end users.
I'd much prefer to use 'user at domain.part1.part2' as the username. Using
unixhierarchysep I can use '.' in the username, which is the first step,
but it appears to choke on having an '@' in the username.

Delivery to  'daniel_test4.mydomain.com' works just fine.

Is there any particular reason that Cyrus doesn't allow delivery to an
address with an '@' in it? I've tried googling for this, but its tricky

About the only thing I can think off of the top of my head is that
Kerberos principals have an @ in them.

Thanks,

Daniel

Below are some notes on my setup

Runnig cyrus  2.1.13 (from debian unstable, backported to debian woody).

#cyrdeliver daniel at test4.mydomain.com
daniel at test4.mydomain.com: Mailbox does not exist

#cyrdeliver -l
220 smog LMTP Cyrus v2.1.13-IPv6-Debian-2.1.13-0woody.4.0 ready
LHLO smog
250-smog
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE
250-AUTH EXTERNAL
250 IGNOREQUOTA
RSET
250 2.0.0 ok
MAIL FROM:<root> AUTH=<>
250 2.1.0 ok
RCPT TO:<daniel at test4.mydomain.com>
550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
550 5.1.1 User unknown

(cyradm output)
localhost> lam user/daniel at test4.mydomain.com
mail lrswipcda
anyone lrswipcda
daniel at test4.mydomain.com lrswipcda
mailadmin lrswipcda

strace'ing cyrdeliver gives basically the same as the output from
cyrdeliver -l above - i copied the commands send via lmtp as read from
the strace.