2.0.17 mailbox corruption

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 8 09:58:17 EST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Paul Christie wrote:

> Having just upgraded from 1.6.24 to 2.0.17 we are having problems with mail
> clients hanging at the point where they scan the entire hierarchy for
> shared folders which the user might have access to.

Use a flat format database instead.  Berkeley DB doesn't deal well with
the enumerations that Cyrus does.  Sadly, this was not discovered until
after the release of 2.0 with the Berkeley DB default.

This is easy in 2.1, in 2.2 you need to edit imap/mboxlist.h and change
the define of CONFIG_DB_MBOX to (&cyrusdb_flat).

> It takes a few hours, after the server is started, for this to occur. This
> corresponds with an increasingly large number of lockers in the error
> messages as below. I have no idea whether this is related.
>
> Jan  7 18:37:05 serena.bath.ac.uk imapd[29994]: [ID 866726 local6.error]
> DBERROR db3: 422 lockers
>
> On a possibly related matter I know that there are a large number of
> folders in the mailboxes.db which do not really exist. However since there
> is no reconstruct -m I can't see how to deal with this. I have seen a
> comment to the effect that reconstruct -r -f does much the same thing but
> this can't be run on the whole system and does not remove entries from the
> mailboxes.db, not in 2.0.17 anyway, as far as I can see.

Why do you have a large number of entries that don't exist?

If you know what they are, you could simply create them in the filesystem,
reconstruct them, and delete them.

-Rob