Cyrus IMAP ; case studies, success stories, ... I need them

Piet Ruyssinck Piet.Ruyssinck at rug.ac.be
Thu Jan 9 10:37:21 EST 2003

Hi all,

I have set up a test machine with cyrus imapd 2.1.11 and everything
that goes with it.  Very nice system, working perfectly, in a test
environment of some 30 people.

Today, I went to see management, to get money for the production system
hardware (I'm thinking about a full Sun Fire 280R with a full Sun
StorEdge 3310 SCSI Array),
... only to hear that some other people are working on a solution based on MS
Exchange, because they want the groupware functionality.

I might be able to convince them to adopt Cyrus imapd, if only I can
assure them that it will peacefully coexist with MS exchange.  They can
agree on using Cyrus for e-mail, and Exchange for the groupware stuff.
But, being a full time unix admin, I have no clue about exchange.  Is
such a setup possible ?  Or does Exchange rely on its own e-mail system ?

Together with information, I could also use any Cyrus imapd success
stories that I can get.

If you're running Cyrus for a reasonably sized company or institution,
please let me know, including the hardware you're using, number of
(simultaneous) users, level of satisfaction, and other useful
information.  Maybe we could collect this data in some kind of
registry.

Looking forward to your replies,
Piet Ruyssinck

Piet RUYSSINCK                            e-mail: Piet.Ruyssinck at rug.ac.be
Unix Systeem Administratie                             tel: +32 9 264 4733
Directie Informatie- en Communicatietechnologie (ICT)  fax: +32 9 264 4994
Universiteit Gent (RUG)      Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9 - 9000 Gent, Belgie