[SOLVED] Re: STARTTLS negotiation failed

Steve Huston huston at astro.Princeton.EDU
Mon Jan 13 13:40:43 EST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Ken Murchison wrote:
> I just tested Pine 4.44 against my Cyrus 2.1.11 using a self-signed cert
> (/novalidate-cert) and it works fine.  Below is the output from ssldump
> (http://www.rtfm.com/ssldump/) for reference.  I'd use ssldump to see
> where in the negotiation it fails.

Finally got it!  I followed the exact instructions in the manual for creating
a key, and for some reason that worked.  Then I realized one other thing I
changed in the /etc/imapd.conf file when I used that other key, that being
"tls_ca_file:"  It seems that the program doesn't like the CA file that comes
with RedHat 8.0, and if I specify that file it chokes and dies *only* on TLS
connections, SSL works fine.

Now that I know the problem, I can figure out a workaround.  Thanks Jonathan
and Ken for pointing me in the right direction (and thanks to Dr. Pepper for
providing caffeinated support).

--
Steve Huston - Unix Systems Administrator, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
 Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285