Newbie questions

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Jan 13 17:07:36 EST 2003

John Colton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just built and installed cyrus-imapd-2.1.11 and cyrus-sasl-2.1.10 under
> RedHat 6.2 (yeah, I should upgrade).  I've got some basic newbie questions:
> * What auth mechs do NOT store plaintext passwords in sasldb2?

OTP and SRP (if configured with --enable-srp-setpass).  But userPassword
will always be set IIRC.

> * I understand how to test different auth mechs with 'imtest -m <mech>' but
> how do I configure imapd to use a specific mech?

Well, the client picks from what the server offers.  You can set what
the server offers either by only installing those mechs that you want,
or use the sasl_mech_list option.  Also note that the only way to
disable the IMAP LOGIN command is to specify allowplaintext:0, but that
only disables it when not protected by a security layer (SSL/TLS).

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127