Migration Pointers?

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Mon Jan 13 16:58:21 EST 2003

If you're using Linux for a server of that size, you will definitely
want an increase from the default number of open files your kernel will
allow, i.e. put something like this in your rc.local file:

echo 65536 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

My Cyrus box has ~18000 open files right now with 350 imapd processes
running, and IIRC the default Linux file-max is 8192.

I talked with a guy from Sendmail, Inc. at LinuxWorld last year and he
admitted that their IMAP message store was forked from the 1.x Cyrus
tree a while back. They said they saw large IMAP performance
improvements when using reiserfs with the 'notail' mount option, versus
other Linux filesystems. Reiserfs seems to be much more well-optimized
for situations when you have lots of very small files.

-Jules

--
Jules Agee
System Administrator