unix:lmtp vs /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver ?

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Tue Jan 21 15:51:41 EST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Thomas Hannan wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. i have to admit that I'd never worked with LMTP
> before I undertook this project...
>
> Anyways, with the AMaViS virus filtering, could you clarify a bit? Does your
> MX point to an AMaViS server which then forwards to your Postfix/Cyrus box?
> (MX) --> [AMaViS-smtp1] --> [Postfix-smtp2] ?
> Or is it something different? For some reason I thought that most filtering
> solutions worked between the SMTP process and the message store (as in a
> /bin/deliver replacement). (Oh, and I'm assuming that hosting multiple
> domains doesn't complicate this?)

Well, they probably were originally, and my method is mostly the same,
only instead of piping to a script, I simply open a socket to SMTP.

The AMaViS smtp server is extremely simple, and doesn't take any
consideration of spammers, relay, etc. All it does is take in, filter, and
spit out, therefore you don't want to run something like that on an open
network port. The docs recommend running it on the localhost (127.0.0.1)
interface so that it's only accessible from the local machine.

Essentially my setup receives all mail externally and internally with
postfix. Postfix is then configured to router mail through AMaViS's smtp
daemon and listen on the outport for AMaViS for filtered email.

> If you wouldn't mind sharing a config file I'd appreciate it ...

I'll take this off list.
			-peace

--
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass