Vacation problem

dimon at intellinetinc.com dimon at intellinetinc.com
Wed Jan 22 18:56:59 EST 2003

Quoting John Alton Tamplin <jtampli at sph.emory.edu>:

> dimon at intellinetinc.com wrote:
>
> >So what is you suggestion? How do I fix this problem? Why the mail server
> >doesn't accept the message if the envelope from set right?
> >
> It is hard to tell from the logs since you are using 4 different email
> addresses, but it looks like sieve tried to send mail from <> (which
> sendmail accepted, but gave an authentication warning since cyrus isn't
> listed as a trusted user in your sendmail.cf file) to
> dmitry at montana-education.ab.ca.  That gets sent, apparently to the same
> MTA, which then has a problem talking to the relay
> mail.montana-education.ab.ca.  It then tries to send it to
> dmitry at intellinetinc.com (presumably an alias from postmaster), and
> again has a problem talking to mail.intellinetinc.com and panics since
> it has nowhere to send the bounce message.  So, it looks like Cyrus is
> fine but your MTA is misconfigured.

I did some code change in lmtpd.c in function send_response (line 872):
I changed smbuf[3] = "<>"; to smbuf[3] = "<postmaster at synodon.com>";
And it worked fine. Assuming that, I think the problem is in  MTA (Sendmail in
my case) configuration. BUT I didn't configured my sendmail to refuse empty
thousands MTAs doing the same thing (let's say to reject spam messages using
empty Return-Path)
I'm not sure whose problem is that, cyrus or MTA but by defaulf installation
(and wothout some code change in lmtpd.c) it simply does'n work!

Dmitry