Sendmail + LMTP AUTH

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Jan 28 12:22:13 EST 2003

Scott Adkins wrote:

> Ah, sorry... version 8.12.5.  I did not use the new cyrusv2.m4 file used
> in the mailer directory.

You don't need to, but it looks cleaner:

# mailers
define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl
define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP localhost lmtp')dnl
MAILER(`cyrusv2')dnl
MAILER(`smtp')dnl

Anyway, to do LMTP AUTH, you need to setup Sendmail to have client auth
info.  You can do this either via the access database or the authinfo
database.  I do this in the access database because I already have it
setup for SMTP AUTH relaying.

In sendmail.mc:

FEATURE(`access_db')dnl

In /etc/mail/access:

# client AUTH

where <address> can be a hostname, domain name, IPv4 or IPv6, <user> is
an admin or lmtp_admin (I use 'cyrus') and <password> is the admins's
password.  If you don't want to have the plaintext password in this
file, then you can use a BASE64-encoded version by specifying
"P=<base64>".  You can also list the mechanisms to try with the optional
"M: <mech> <mech>..."

Once you have this setup, remember to remake your sendmail.cf and to run
makemap on your access database.

If you want to use the authinfo database instead, then use
FEATURE(authinfo) and /etc/mail/authinfo.  The format of the line(s) in
the authinfo database are the same.

I _believe_ that all of this stuff is in the Sendmail docs, but the
latest bat book (3rd ed.) has AUTH and STARTTLS documented.