looking for Cyrus mail format documentation

Phil Howard phil-info-cyrus at ipal.net
Tue Feb 4 02:13:05 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:18:47AM -0500, Rob Siemborski wrote:

| On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Phil Howard wrote:
|
| > Apparently the way Cyrus does it, there are problems.  But that does
| > not mean it cannot be done in general.  By keeping a sequential number
| > and naming the files by that number alone, of course there can be
| > collisions.  If the original design of the mailstore required being
| > able to do two-way replication reliably, it would be a matter of
| > making the file names be more unique, such as using a timestamp plus
| > hostname.
|
| How?  IMAP UIDs are defined as strictly increasing integers.  See RFC 2060
| section 2.3.1.1.  This has nothing to do with Cyrus's implementation.

Does the RFC say that the IMAP UIDs have to be the file name?

Do the IMAP UIDs have to be the same between different sessions?

| You can, of course, disable updates when you don't have a quorum of
| replicated servers, but I don't think this is what you're asking for.

No.  There would be 2 such servers, and periodic unreachability.
There would need to be an ability to add new mail separately on
each while still avoiding message ID collections.  If there is no
need to keep the same ID mapping between sessions, then there may
be a way to do it by mapping.