BerkleyDB

Mika Iisakkila mika.iisakkila at pingrid.fi
Sat Feb 15 08:22:11 EST 2003

Jeff Wilde wrote:
> I just wanted to verify if the Cyrus Package Supports the Latest Version
> of Berkley DB.  I haven't seen where it says otherwise, but just would
> like a confirmation.  I saw in the archives where it said it wasn't
> supported at one time, but what is the status now?

It does compile and run with BDB 4.1 (I submitted the patches
which were first incorporated in 2.1.10 release, I think). However,
I'd be a little wary on using it on a very busy server.
We had to revert to BDB 3.3.11 on HP-UX, since with 4.1
the infamous "DB lockers" problem got quickly out of hand
once the software was put into production (the test environment
wasn't anywhere near up to the same kind of load, so this didn't
surface).

I think I traced the problem somewhere to the cursor operations
and associated implicit transactions (new in DB4) done by Cyrus in
mboxlist operations, but never managed to nail it during the time
I was paid to do it... It might as well be something HP-UX or
otherwise environment specific.

--mika