cyrus authentification with ldap & md5

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Tue Feb 11 06:44:44 EST 2003

Bruhin Gregor schrieb:

> I would like to migrate my user accounts in an ldap tree.
>
> I don't have the passwords in clear text, is it possible to use the md5 unix
> account passwords by moving the md5 passwords in the ldap tree?
>
> Did somebody manage such a migration ?

Yes, I did and it works well.

You can write your password into the userPassword attribute. It has the
form '{MD5}XYZXYZXYZXYZXYZ...', but base64 encoded.
You can also put 'password-hash   {MD5}' in you slapd.conf so if you use
ldappasswd to change passwords, it will store them as MD5 by default.
You can then use saslauthd->pam_ldap->LDAP or saslauthd->LDAP to
authenticate users.

HTH
Simon