Slow connections to imapd *Urgent*

Russell Gnann rgnann at corp.pol.net
Fri Feb 14 21:51:22 EST 2003

As of today we have been experiencing extremly slow connections to our Cyrus
IMAP server.  So far we have been unable to detemine any cause.

We are running Cyrus 2.0.16 on a Sun E3500 with Solaris 7. We have no
obvious problems with any of the hardware including NIC interface, CPU,
Memory, or Disks.

An example of the tests we have been running is using telnet to appempt a
connection to port 143. When we initially start the master process this has
a fast connection and response from the IMAP server. As we continue this
test the connection becomes slower and slower. It gets to the point that it
can take more than a minute to see a connection established and just as long
to see a response from the IMAP processes.

We can find no indication from our resource untilization why this might be
happening. Nothing is overly busy on the server.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems, or might have some
insight into the reason we might be experiencing this.

Thanks for any help.

_______
Russell Gnann
UNIX Systems Administrator